Easter Weekend

I always have a hard time coming back to social media after any kind of devastating news story hits. Making the leap back to the strange sense of reality showing polished breakfast settings and babies in baskets when life outside of that microcosm of cutely curated scenes we exist in feels like it's falling all apart.

The bombings in Brussels last week struck me hard. Considering how regularly these stories are becoming for us now. Reflected in small rituals of our daily lives. A slow day at the park peeling oranges, watching the flag sway at half mass, the vision of that terrified baby in the airport aftermath video footage crying beside his dead mother singed in my brain as I fold laundry and unload the groceries, the lock down alert at their school the morning I went to help with their classes and had to sit outside of the office doors for 35 minutes alongside a handful of other equally solum parents silently cursing the fact of this being a new reality we and our children are inheriting. With no clear answers in sight.

A heavy week. To say the least.

By the weekend though I was feeling (luckily) a whole lot brighter. We invited the neighbors over for eggs, watched movies and took a long drive to the store to prepare for the weekend. Saturday we gathered for brunch at my mom's house and went out to meet up with Mike's family out at our favorite Mexican restaurant in Orange Country for an adult night out then came home to discover just how unbalanced my basket goods proved once I finished socking them with the few trinkets I had stuffed in the far corners of my closet. Which prompted a brief debate over who should make the run (which I lost) and sent me on a midnight drive to find the football Arlo mentioned wanting the day before. Now imagine Walmart, at midnight, on Easter eve.

But the smile on his face was all worth it.






Sunday we spent at my in-laws for a culdesac style Easter extravaganza that included cool old cars, skate ramps, bikes, trampolines, kid karaoke, buffet set ups and plenty of happy people scattered around the yards in old school lawn chairs watching children run wild with delight over eggs hunts that turned up enough candy to keep them sugar drunk and reeling for the remainder of the afternoon.

All in all a beautiful weekend unrolled in the shadows of world news threats plaguing our tvs these days. Life goes on as they say, and it does. With maybe sweeter attention paid to the simple fact of these sun filled afternoons binding family in traditions we count on year to year to paint our holiday memories as something grand. As they are. As they should be.




Happy Easter,
From us to you.

Labels: