Notes on A New Year


 “That was the year, my twenty-eighth, when I was discovering that not all of the promises would be kept, that some things are in fact irrevocable and that it had counted after all, every evasion and every procrastination, every mistake, every word, all of it.” 

 Joan Didion


No, not 28 this year. 
But defiantly relating to these insights remembered by Joan.  
That every move, every mistake we make counts for something. 

New Life lessons rooted every step of the way. 



This year was mellow. Breakfast and coffee in bed. Flowers and a newly remodeled bathroom. A project we let sit on the back burner for too many years and finally completed on this, my birthday weekend. Per my request. As busy as we are these days, home projects seem to take a back seat or fall away from our priorities completely. So seeing it all come together in two days - the way I imagined - proved such  a relief. The space feels like us now. I'll have to share a few photos once it's all put back together. It's been a long while since I've shared any of our home endeavors.

And then of course dinner, with my oldest friend. At our old stand by, Pete's, downtown. A long walk to find some proper L.A graffiti (per Arlo's request) and a little shopping before heading back home for a late night movie and a cup of our favorite gas station hot chocolate.

It was a nice and relaxing way to welcome a new age.
I haven't made any specific plans for what this particular year should entail.
But I have a feeling it just might already be off to an interesting start.